How can a man strengthen his core?
A well-defined core isn’t just aesthetically pleasing; it’s the foundation of strength for the entire body. The Rectus Abdominis i.e. six pack abs are a dream for many or some men.
Bodybuilding for men and making a strength training requires a routine of core exercises for men to follow with lot of hard work and patience.
For men aiming to build a robust core, a combination of targeted ab exercises and core exercises for men is key. Here are the ten best core exercises for men to help you sculpt those abdominal muscles and build a stable, strong core.
What is the most effective core workout?
20 Minutes Core Exercises For Men Routine Plan
- Warm-up (3 minutes)
Before diving into the core exercises for men, warm up your body to prepare for the workout ahead. Spend 3 minutes performing dynamic movements such as high knees, leg swings, arm circles, and torso twists.
This will help your body forms, increase blood flow to your muscles and prevent injuries during the core exercises for men workout session.
- The Workout (16 minutes)
Perform each exercise for 45 seconds, then rest for 15 seconds. Complete all core exercises for men consecutively for a continuous circuit. Remember, quality repetitions with proper form are more important than speed.
- Plank: The classic plank is a foundational core exercises for men that engages multiple muscle groups simultaneously. Maintain a straight line from head to heels, engaging your core muscles and hold this position for as long as possible.
- Russian Twists: This exercise targets the obliques. Sit on the floor, gently lean back, and lift your legs off the ground. Twist your torso from side to side, each time touching the ground alongside you.
- Hanging Leg Raises: Hang from a pull-up bar and raise your legs until they are parallel to the ground. This exercise works the lower abdominal muscles hard.
- Dead Bug: Lie on your back, raise your arms and legs toward the ceiling, and lower your right arm and left leg toward the floor simultaneously. Alternate sides while keeping your lower back pressed against the ground.
- Bicycle Crunches: Lie on your back, bring your knees up, and mimic a cycling motion while touching your left elbow to your right knee and vice versa. This exercise works both the upper and lower abdominal.
- Mountain Climbers: Starting position with a plank and alternate bringing your knees toward your chest in a running motion. This exercise works the entire core while also providing a cardio element.
- Dragon Flags: Lie on a bench or sturdy surface, holding onto the edge with your hands. Lift your legs, keep legs straight and lower them slowly toward the ground. This difficult exercise works the entire core.
- Woodchoppers: Use a cable machine or resistance band. Stand with your feet shoulder width apart, and pull the cable or band diagonally across your upper body, engaging your core as you twist.
- Reverse Crunches: Lie on your back, bend your knees, and lift them toward your chest, lifting your hips off the ground. This focuses on the lower abs.
- Side Plank: Support your body weight on one forearm and the side of one foot, keeping your body in a straight line. Switch sides to work both obliques equally.
- Cooldown (1 minute)
After completing the circuit, take a minute to stretch your core muscles. Focus on stretches like the cat-cow stretch, child’s pose, and torso twists to relax the muscles and aid recovery.
Tips for Maximum Benefit
- Focus on engaging your core throughout each exercise to maximize effectiveness.
- Maintain proper form; it’s better to perform fewer reps with correct form than more reps with poor form.
- Increase or decrease the intensity by modifying the exercise or adjusting tempo.
- Breathe steadily throughout the workout; don’t hold your breath.
READ UP NEXT: 5 Best Abs Exercises To Get Strong Core Muscles
A compact 20 minute core workout can deliver significant results when performed consistently. Incorporating this core exercises for men routine into your regular schedule not only strengthens your core muscles but also enhances overall stability, posture, and athleticism.
Remember, fitness is a journey, and this ab workout serves as a powerful tool to propel you toward a stronger, more resilient core.